Graphic Designers’ Meet 2013 #Nepal
The contents below are the points noted down by me at the presentation. I don’t take any credit for any of them. There might have been little changes made because I might not have got time to not everything. If I have misinterpreted or noted them wrong, I am extremely sorry and please let me know so that I can edit them.
27th April, 2013
Graphic Designers’ Meet 2013
Co-organised by Startup Weekend(Kathmandu)
1. Brand Identity and Logo Development - Ngodup Dorjee Lama
a. What is a Logo?
- started as pictures on caves of walls to show expressions\
“A logo is an extension of who you are or what you do.” – Steven Heller
· visiting cards
· Services etc.
c. Types of Logos
· Combination mark
d. How a (good) Logo should be?
-HOW? -> ABSTRACT
e.g. American Airlines logo evolution
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Steve Jobs
· Well drawn
Important to doodle/sketch
· Visible in every form – even in 16 x 16 px
e. Design Process
e.g Grazia logo
· Company background study
· Looking for inspiration
· Brainstorming/ Mindmapping
2. Font Development Process - Ananda Maharjan
The session by Ananda Maharjan was more practical than theoretical. He showed us how font development is done by doing rather than just telling. So, I don’t have any points noted down. If I happen to make a video or a tutorial, I will be sharing it.
-Session on Font Lab Studio and Adobe Illustrator
It was an informative session. Yes! You missed it.
3. Graphic Design for Web – Swapnil Acharya
- Easy is good
· Print vs. web
- Image format
· Utility of design
- What to design?
- Who to design for?
- How to make it work?
· Tendency of USERS
- What users look for?
- Obviousness of design
- User taking things for granted
- Giving user driver’s seat
· Speaking visual language
PS + GREAT STYLE + GREAT CODE = GREAT DESIGN
· What makes a great website design (graphically)?
- Choice of colors
- Mobile and other devices
- SKEUMORPHISM?? (what’s that?? -> Google it :p)
· How to do it?
- Think like no other. ;)
4. USER? – Ankur Sharma
(Proud to have been his student. He knows how to teach for sure.)
· Who is a user?
- People who USE?
· Walk in user’s shoe!
- Customer survey
- Ethnography (Google it)
- Requirement Analysis
- Usability test
- Ask feedback
5. Creative Direction; Creativity with CHAOS! – Bidhan Rajbhandari
(One of the funniest, entertaining and guffadi guy I have ever met. But besides being a guffadi, an immensely talented man. I am sure all those who attended the event will agree to that. J )
There is still empty space, fill it
- God of creativity
- Master of puppets
- Just do what I say!
- Give more options
- Doesn’t share info much
- Kill them all with one bullet
- When do you want it? -> I want it yesterday- WTF?
- Dr. Deadline
· Presentation or Present Tension
“A negative comment can kill a dream.”
· Know to say NO
· Chaos is inevitable
· Challenge and create
· P’s of Creativity
§ Set a vision and focus
6. Advertising & market - Santosh Shrestha
(Had to be off, so no notes on these. I only have one.)
· If there is no money involved, it is not ADVERTISEMENT. It is still promotion, but another technique of promotion
I had fun, I learnt a lot, felt the feeling of creativeness. Despite being a first ever event, it went well. I would be very happy to be a part of more such events. Thanks to the organizers.
PS: I had the healthiest food of my life; boiled vegetables, boiled chowmein (didn’t get a taste of spice at all), boiled chicken. It was tasty though. :)